Thursday, June 29, 2017

JUNIOR LIFEGUARDS THE TEST


     I had the pleasure of kicking off my summer reading with a book that has a setting close to home - the beach! Although I'm from Maine and this story is set in Cape Cod, I could immediately smell the sand & surf and see the waves. Author Elizabeth Doyle Carey has a new summer series for us and it's a good one. The Cupcake Diaries'author writes a story that rings true as we get to know the four girls - Piper, Selena, Ziggy and storyteller, Jenna, all new to the teenage years.

http://dunemerebooks.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/06/JL1_TheTest_CVR.jpg
     

     The four friends decide to spend the summer together as they try out for the Junior Lifeguard program, in this first of the series, Junior Lifeguards The Test. The usual trials and tribulations of teen angst were realistic and engaging. I realized as I neared the end of this first story, that I wanted  to know more about these girls and their lives. Carey leaves a bit of a cliffhanger in this first book, which I hope will be addressed in the next one. No spoiler alert here, you'll have to read the book to find out! 
     Middle grade readers will be wanting more as they read about these girls' problems, friendships and fears. The main characters are interesting and likable. Take this book to the beach, give it to your tween reader and let them enjoy a summer in Cape Cod vicariously through kids their own age.
     Win an autographed copy of the first three books in the series of Junior Lifeguards by joining my blog or if you are already a member, leave a comment below please!You can also retweet on Twitter, just make sure to include my handle @litcoachlou! 



No comments: